The tempeh I used for this dish was one that was pre seasoned. You can get plain tempeh but it's a bit bland so marinating it with spices is the best way, or simply get one that is already flavoured. This particular brand is a biodynamic ready to eat one seasoned with tamari, sugar, apple cider vinegar, herbs & spices. You can easily find this in healthy food stores, or any organic stores in Perth.
Once everything was chopped up it was a simple matter of putting it into the casserole dish and baking it. This is great when you have leftover veggies in the fridge and need to get rid of them, just add and bake!
Vegetable Sweet Potato Bake
1 large sweet potato
100g tempeh (I chose pre seasoned)
6 stems kale
2 cups spinach leaves
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS hot water
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp coriander leaves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cube vegetable stock
1/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C
2. Peel the sweet potato and put into a food processor or blender and turn it to med setting, blend until the consistency end up being small chunky pieces
3. Peel the carrot and zucchini, dice it all up with the mushrooms, tempeh, spinach and kale and put into a large bowl
4. Combine the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and add to the vegetables. Mix well
5. In a large casserole or ceramic dish spread a layer of the sweet potato at the bottom, then add a layer of the vegetable mix, keep going until you finish the mixture. I ended up doing 3 layers of each
6. Wrap the dish with foil and put into oven for 40 mins
7. Take it out the oven, everything should be soften by now, get a spoon and press into the bake to mash the sweet potato. Don't over do it, the other vegetables should still hold their form if you're gentle enough, but since the sweet potato was blended into smaller pieces, they will mash easier. Once it's all been mixed thoroughly, serve on its own or with a salad and there's your vegan bake!