Traditionally spinach dip is made with cream cheese, so to replicated this I used a combination of cashews, nutritional yeast, vinegar, lemon and mustard. All these items are high nutritious in themselves and only add to the healthiness of this dip. Last but not least water chestnuts: these are a hallmark of Chinese cooking, they are rather bland in taste, but is fresh and light and have this wonderful crunchy texture which remains even after being cooked. They are low in calories and fat free, yet containing a good dose of potassium, zinc and B vitamins. They are an excellent coolant for the body, and are used medicinally in China and India as a tonic for removing impurities and toxins from the body.
So all in all, not a bad combination of healthy fresh ingredients, and the result is a dip that is super tasty, non bloating and guilt free!
Vegan Spinach Dip
1 block silken tofu (200g)
3/4 cup cashews (soaked 6hrs)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 TBS lemon juice
3 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
200g baby spinach leaves
1 yellow onion
1/4 cup water chestnuts
2 cloves garlic
1 TBS oil
1. Blend the tofu, cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and salt together on high until it's smooth and creamy, this should taste like 'cheese'
2. Bring a pot of water to the boil and put all the spinach leaves in there for a few mins
3. Drain out the water, squeeze excess water out and then chop it couple of times, don't worry about chopping it into small pieces as all this will go in the blender later
4. Dice the garlic and onion into small 1/2 inch sizes pieces
5. In a skillet heat the oil and add the onions, garlic and water chestnut. Stir on high for about 5 mins until the onions brown slightly
6. Stir in the spinach and stir for a further 2 mins
7. Add that into the blender with 'cheese' ingredients and blend up med until thoroughly mixed through. Don't put it on high as you want some texture and crunchiness from the onion, water chestnut and spinach
8. Let it cool down and then refrigerate to thicken. You can sprinkle some paprika or cayenne pepper on top for a spicy kick, or garnish with finely chopped parsley for something extra
9. Serve with vegetable sticks, chips and bread!