3 years ago, Nick asked me randomly what I wanted. My answer: strawberry and rhubarb crumble. This recipe is extra special as it took him 3 years to make it!
This recipe takes about 25 mins but the first time he attempted it, it took him over almost 2hrs to do it. Since then he's tried it again a few times and has cut the time down. It's actually quite an achievement from the guy that makes one other thing - a kale salad (which consists of kale, ACV and lemon juice)! It's actually a great one to try if you're not great in the kitchen, or don't want to follow the exact recipe as the crumble is flexible to allow for more of what you want in it.
This particular recipe is not overly sweet, it's got a tart kick to it which we both preferred. However if you do have a sweet tooth, just up the sugar. As it's a crumble, it amounts doesn't have to be exact. We made a version doubling the sugar measurements and while we were both buzzing from it, a few friends thought it was delicious! I chose to use dark brown sugar as it has more molasses, and produce more of a caramel undertone but you can substitute for just brown sugar.
In regards to the vegan butter, each time we used a different brand, and it didn't make much a difference to the taste and the GF flour we used was Bob's Red Mill, which helped give it a crunchy texture which complimented the soft base quite nicely.
This recipe is a keeper and now that Nick has mastered it, we'll be sure to make it a regular at home!
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C
2. Dice up the rhubarb and strawberries into small pieces
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the lemon juice and arrowroot starch. Mix both of the sugars in, mix well, then add in the chopped strawberries and rhubarb. Use a big spatula spoon and mix well
4. In a mixer or thermomix (reverse blade, on speed 1), put in the ingredients for the crumble top. Mix for 10-15 seconds until it becomes a crumbly texture
6. Put it into the oven for 40-45 mins
7. Take out, let it sit and serve hot or cold. Tastes great with some sorbet or ice cream!