Consumption of olive oil reduces cardiovascular risk factors, high blood pressure, obesity, rheumatoid arthritis and inflammation, benefiting and boosting the immune system and helping to protect the body against viruses and strokes.
When I was in Rome last year I had olive oil with everything I ate and I really developed a liking for it. At home I usually use coconut oil if I'm cooking so recently when I had a hankering after the robust flavour of olives, I decided to make some ice cream. It might sound strange, but olive oil ice cream is absolutely delicious. I used coconut and cashews as the base for the icecream so it came out rich and creamy, but with a savoury flavour. This I balanced with a salted caramel sauce I whipped up.
If you have an ice cream maker you can just throw it all in, or freeze it and leave out to thaw for a couple of hours before serving. I gave some to Mykal tonight, and as dubious as he was about the flavour, he did enjoy it, as can be seen with his smiling happy face at the bottom!
Raw Olive Oil Ice Cream
1 1/2 cup cashew
1 cup coconut meat
1 cup coconut water
1/3 cup coconut milk
2/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 TBS coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
Salted Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup date paste (roughly 6 big dates)
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 TBS vanilla essence
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
2. Add in olive oil and mix again
3. Put into a container and refrigerate until cold, then put through an icecream maker
* Alternatively if you don't have an ice cream maker, put into the freezer and mix every 30 mins until frozen
4. Mix date paste with coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt until it becomes a whipped consistency (doesn't need to be on high setting, you want it as fluffy as possible
5. Either swirl it through the icecream when it's the consistency of soft serve, or pour on top of frozen icecream
* I like my icecream to be extra creamy so I added coconut milk, if you want it less rich substitute coconut water instead
* Depending on the strength of the flavour of the olive oil you may need to add more or less