Blueberries offer similar health benefits and their sweetness offsets the slight tart flavour of the maqui powder. The two combined together makes for a great healthy sweet treat. Instead of adding nuts, which sometimes can be quite dense, I opted for pumpkin seeds and tahini instead. The overall taste of this is a sticky, slight sweet slice which is nutrient dense, so a little goes a long way!
Raw Maqui Blueberry Protein Bars
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup hulled tahini
1/2 cup maqui powder
1 TBS coconut oil
4 TBS maple syrup
2 tsp blue-green algae (or spirulina)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup blueberries
2. Process until mixed together
3. Add the coconut oil, make sure it's warmed so it's liquid form
4. Add the frozen blueberries and mix on low speed or just stir through. The frozen blueberries are cold, so that will thicken up the coconut oil and tahini, which gives the mixture into a quite solid texture. You can combine it all, which I have done before, but it just makes for the blending process a bit harder
5. Line a tray with baking paper and gently press it all into the tray. The mixture is sticky so sometimes it helps if you wet the spoon
6. Drizzle with tahini and refrigerate for a couple of hours, then cut into slices and enjoy!
* I used e3 algae powder, but you can add any green powder or omit it altogether. The taste will be covered up by the other ingredients so it's a great way to get your greens in, I added a TBS as I quite like the subtle taste of the algae